A Kwazulu-Natal taste Sensation
If we were asked to sum up a Kwazulu-Natal taste Sensation into one word, it would have to be curry!
In case you can’t holiday with us right now, this mouthwatering video recipe will show you how to make your own scrumptious curry at home. We hope it helps to keep your cravings at bay until you are able to enjoy a curry again while holidaying with us!
Don’t forget to show us a photo of how your delicious curry came out.
Durban Lamb Curry
- 500gram lamb on the bone is best
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion cut in quarters and thinly sliced
- 2 x3cm piece cinnamon stick
- 1star aniseed
- 1 black elachie/cardamom
- 2 bay leaf
- 1sprig curry leaf
- 2 tspn ginger/garlic paste
- 2tbsp masala
- 1/2tspn tumeric
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1/2tspn ground fennel seeds/soomph
- 2 roma tomatoes blanched and grated
- 2 potatoes cut into medium sized cubes
- salt to taste
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- 1 cup water see recipe notes
- Heat oil, add cinnamon stick, black elachie, star aniseed and bay leaf. Fry for a few seconds until it is fragrant. Add onion and curry leaf.
- Once onion is translucent and slightly brown add the ginger/garlic paste. Saute for a minute.
- Add masala, turmeric, soomph and garam masala and fry for a further minute. It will form a nice thick paste. Add a few drops of water if required.
- Add the lamb and mix well. Keep the pot open and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. This is where the spices really get into the meat so do not skip this step. Add tomatoes, season with salt and cover and cook until sauce starts to thicken
- Add the potatoes to the meat and allow it to cook for 5 minutes, be careful not to let it burn. Add a cup of water. Here you can add less water if you do not want too much gravy and if you are using very soft cooking potatoes. Sometimes the potatoes cook quite fast and your gravy would not have thickened by then, leaving you with a watery curry. Turn the heat down to a low setting and allow your curry to cook until gravy is thick and potatoes are soft.
Please take note that my recipes are created at higher altitude so I may use a lot more liquid in my cooking. If you are living at sea-level cooking is much faster so you may require less liquid, therefore you can adjust the recipe accordingly
Don’t forget to hit the like and subscribe button for more awesome content!
Dumela Holiday Resort is situated in Margate the heart of the South Coast. We pride ourselves on being the best family resort with various facilities on site which include a family swimming pool, thatched pub and exquisite braai areas just to name a few.
For more information:
Show off your experiences on the South Coast with us @DumelaMargate